We have a reputation for making both outstanding
waist belts and cartridge belts. All are built to the same high
standards as our holsters and, as with those, you have complete
control . We offer all widths, styles & tooling. In addition, you
may direct the placement of your shells (and spare rifle or pistol
cartridges if desired) to suit your needs. Please note that it is
absolutely impossible to list every belt we do. Rather than even
to attempt that, we use this page to explain the measurements required
for a custom belt and to highlight the different TYPES or STYLES
of belts that we offer.
TO MEASURE FOR A GUN BELT: Run a tape measure around your hip at the point where you intend to wear the gun belt. This is generally 1" below your waistbelt but can vary depending on your personal preferences or body type.
TO MEASURE FOR A BUSCADERO (DROP LOOP) STYLE GUN BELT: We will need TWO measurements. a) Run a tape measure around your hip at the point where you intend to wear the buscadero gun blet. this will be at the same point as a standard gun belt. b) Take a measurement at this same spot from the CENTER of the front of your pants to the main side seam
UNACCEPTABLE MEASUREMENTS: We CANNOT accept your jean or pants size as an accurate measurement. Belt measurements taken by reading numbers from an existing belt are also unacceptable.
Dress and Work Belts
Our work belts are built stout. They are 11-12 ounces (about half again as thick as many commercial belts which run about 8-9 oz!). We can make them up to 16 oz if you feel the need to have them extra heavy for such practical neccessities as supporting a tool pouch or holstered pistol.Ours are doubled and stitched and can be had in 1 1'4" to 1 1/2" widths in either a straight-cut profile or with a taper to 1" at billet & chape.
Our dress belts are equally as stout as our work belts but are shaved down slightly on the edges so that they present a dressier profile. They are offered in all the typical belt formats ranging from a narrow 1" to 1 1/2."
1. Much as we would like, it is a virtual impossibility to even list all the borders, overall geometric stamping and carving patterns we can put on a belt. We can do almost any floral from the standard western types to roses and oak leaves and in all of our standard colors. Most of our gunbelt patterns can be matched and we are always willing to do something new for our customers. Please ask us if you have a special request.
2. All of our work or dress belts can be had in the "ranger style" or "new ranger" stylesmentioned below.
A belt which has a wide body and separate billet and chape is referred to as a ranger belt. It can be a waistbelt as this one is or can be much wider as is the case with our gunfighter belts. (see below)
1. Cartridge loops can be equipped on any width of ranger belt at your discretion.
2. The billets on this one are 1 1/4" wide and are of our standard style. there are many width and style options. Please look at our gun rigs pages for other options. There are also many buckle options.
3. The tooling options are endless. this one is shown with a borderstamped main body and carved billets.
"New Ranger" Belt
The "New Ranger" is a true ranger style belt in that it offers a contious band of leather around the entire body. (Unlike a taper style which is necked-down and open at the waist center.) The new style offers a much sleeker and dressier profile than the standard ranger as it lies flatter and thinner.
The "New Ranger" shown here was carved with a scroll motif. The options on belts are absolutely limitless as are colors and buckles. (The buckle and tip set here are a fabulous set made by Ahmad Khan and are sterling silver.) The belt can be had in about any width desired and can be had in dressy light weights to the more stout work weights and those suited to wide gun belts.
The money belt was likely the most popular belt on the Frontier and survived well into the 1940's! It is a soft belt. The body is made from a single piece of leather folded on itself and stitched. As a result, it is extremely light in weight and offers greater comfort than any other belt for all-day wear.
The manner of construction creates a long tube down the body of the belt. In old times this was used -- as the name implies -- to hold cash or such important documents as the sales slip for your personal mount. Nowadays it is an ideal place to stash cash, a credit card, emergency info or even a spare vehicle key.
While the belt looks identical to the ranger & gunfighter style belts presented below, it differs in the way it buckle together. There is a slot BELOW the buckle through which the tongue or billet goes before being buckled. This is the "lock" to the money compartment and also acts as a keeper loop for the belt.
1. Our standard belt is equipped with 25 cartridge loops. More or less can be had by request.
2. Money belts were traditionally not full-carved. Many were plain or simply borderstamped.
3. This belt is 3" wide with1 1/2" billets. It can be had from 2" wide to 4" wide with either 1 1/2" or 11/4" billets.
4. Billets come in many styles. This one is the classic found on most period belts. Styles did vary though (see below) or our gun rigs pages.
Fancy Billet Money Belt
This belt is built identical to the money belt pictured above with the exception that it has fancy bulb-shaped billets which have been fully carved.
1. The billets can be left plain, stamped to match the body of the belt or carved to match your holsters.
2. There are many styles of billets. please look through our gun rigs pages or call us for options.
3. All other options are identical to those for our standard money belt.
Tapered Billet Gunfighter Belt
The taper belt is a heavy belt on which the billet and chape (tongue and buckle portions) are necked down so that a narrower, more standard buckle can be utilized for closure. Many find that it is mor comfortable because of the diminshed thickness in front.
1. This belt is 3" wide tapering to 1 1/2". We can make these as wide or as narrow as you wish. For gun Belts, that can be as much as 4" to as litte as 1 3/4" with a taper of 11/2" or 1 1/4".
2. Most of the other options that apply to our gunfighter belts apply equally to this style.
Fancy Billet Taper Belt
This style of belt can be built in two different ways. It can be built on our standard doubled and stitched tapered gunfighter belt or it can be adapted to a money-belt style center portion.
1.All possible options included in our regular tapered gunfighter belt apply to this style with additional tooling options for the billet and chape.
After the "Recent Unpleasantness" , many soldiers went home with their military-style belts. While many were never retrofitted with cartridge loops, many were. Buckles also survived and continued to be proudly worn with cartridge loop-equipped belts.
1. The buckle on this one is the Georgia 2-piece Military style. We have access to many excellent Civil War repro buckles -- both Yankee and Confederacy. Please call for specific buckles.
2. This belt is shown in a nice, rebel brown. It can be had in black as well -- or in any other color we normally stock.
3. This style of belt is available only in sizes that will match the selected buckle. This one is 1 3/4" which is the norm.
4. Military belts were most often plain, but there were certainly officer's personal purchase belts and post-war belts which were tooled.
5. This belt may be made without cartridge loops.
The buscadero or "drop loop" belt is what many people believe is the true gunbelt of the west. It is not. According to legend, it was developed by Sam Myers of SD Myers Saddlery fame and Texas Ranger, John Hughes in the 1920's -- long past the classic era of the trail herd and cowboy. Hollywood very rapidly adopted the buscadero rig for its burgeoning B-western movie industry and the rest is history. Buscadero, incidentally stems from the Spanish word for "searcher" and, in the southwest means a tough gun-toting lawman or gunfighter.
What makes the buscadero belt different from a standard gunfighter style belt is the swell and slot that support the holster. This "drop" allows the holster to be positioned lower on the belt to fascilitate a faster draw. The belt also offers a much larger palette for decoration.
The variations on the theme of the buscadero belt are endless. The belt itself can be cut straight with drops or on a curve with drops. The belt can be a continuous width or can be contoured along its width with dips and curves or an expanded center portion for additional decoration or enhanced stylishness. The billets can be had in straight styles with rounded, squared or arched ends, or can be fancied up with ends in bulb and arrow shapes.It can be had with as many cartridge loops as desired in and combination that is useful or pleasing. There are also endless options for decorations with combinations of stamping, carving, spots, conchos and plain or fancy buckles giving each belt a distinctive appearance.
Classic Shotgun Belt
This is a tapered-style belt with individual loops around the circumference of the entire belt.
1. If your needs require it, you can have this belt made with a specific number of cartridge loops or a combination of shotgun, rifle or pistol loops.
2. Coose from any of the belt patterns and colors we illustrate in our gun rigs sections.
3. The belt shown is 3" wide with a 1 1/2" taper. By request, we can make it in a 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" width with a 1 1/2" taper.
4. This belt is shown with our standard clip point style buckle. There are many other options or we can mount any buckle provided to us.
Taper Web Belt
The only difference between this belt and the belt shown above is that the body of the belt is made of 3" canvas webbing.
1.The options are more limited on this belt than our others. It is offered in a 3" width in .38/.357, .44-40/.45, .38-55, .45-70 and 12 gauge only. The billets are of the bulb type and taper for a 1 1/2" buckle. We do offer a web belt with LEATHER cartridge loops in 2" wide webbing tapering tp 1 1/4" for all of the common calibers.
|All Contents Copyrighted 2005 • All Photos Courtesy Don "Oso" Contreras|